No-chill Lemon Curd Cookies
Buttery lemon shortbread cookies with sweet and tangy lemon curd filling in the centre. These sunshine beauties are perfect for the sunny days and require no chilling! They'll surely become your next favourite cookies!
- 1 1/4cup (162g) Plain flour/All purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (8g) Corn flour/Corn starch
- 1 Egg yolk (21g), UK- medium size
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (50g) White granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (114g) Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1/4 cup Lemon Curd
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, corn flour and salt. Whisk them to mix well and set them aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add softened unsalted butter, sugar, and cream together at medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until light and fluffy, scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add in the egg yolk and vanilla extract, then beat again until fully incorporated.
- Add in the dry ingredients, and continue to beat on low until just combined. First, the mixture will be crumbly then using your hands, fold the crumbly mixture into a dough ball. Now the dough is ready. Don’t over-mix it.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper. Preheat the Fan oven to 155C/311F (For a conventional oven: 175C/347F).
- Scoop up about 2 tbsp of dough and roll it into a ball. Slightly flatten a bit. Lightly flour the back of a 1 tbsp measuring spoon and use it to press each ball down to make a deep dent in the middle. Repeat the same with the remaining balls. You should get about 8 balls from this dough.
- Bake these unfilled cookies in a preheated fan oven for 15-20 minutes or until the bottom of the cookies are nicely golden brown, the tops are still pale in colour and the edges are set. Rotate the pan halfway through baking, for evenly baking. Don’t overbake them because you want soft shortbread cookies, just melt in your mouth.
- Let them cool on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes then transfer on a wire rack to cool completely (about 5-10 minutes).
- Lightly dust the edges of the cookies with icing sugar then fill up the centre with a tsp of lemon curd just before serving and enjoy as a teatime snack with a cup of tea or coffee.
- Store your lemon curd and unfilled cookies in the fridge and fill up the cookies before serving because filled cookies are harder to store.
- Keep unfilled cookies in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week and fill the lemon curd just before serving.
- If you want to store filled cookies in the fridge, store them for 4-5 days. Don’t stack them to avoid sticking.
- You can freeze them for up to 2 months. It’s better to freeze them unfilled so they will not stick together in a freezer-safe airtight container or a zip-lock bag. Thaw them in the fridge overnight or for a good amount of time before use.